Shepard Hall Reconstruction at CCNY
As the largest project of its kind anywhere in the world, this $150 million dollar reconstruction of a 400,000 SF historic landmark is now in its final phase of completion. Shepard Hall opened in 1907 as the first building built for public higher education in New York. The reconstruction work has been performed for the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York (DASNY) acting as agent for the City University of New York (CUNY). Exterior work included rebuilding the entire building shell including replacement of approximately 72,000 different pieces of ornamental terra cotta with new durable thin-shell GFRC. Interior work included restoration of the 14,000 square foot Great Hall, ornate meeting rooms and interior stairs. The project has also restored the five major building entrances.
Research, design and construction was begun by The Stein Partnership in 1986. Between 1997 and 2006 Construction Document reorganization and Construction Administration shifted to Stein White Architects and Stein White Nelligan Architects; and since 2006, all work, including the design of the entry restorations, has been by Elemental Architecture. Throughout the project, Carl Stein has been principal-in-charge.
This building, now restored to its place as the centerpiece of the City University of New York’s main campus, has received wide recognition including the New York Landmarks Conservancy Lucy G. Moses Award and has been written about extensively. In 2011, the project was the subject of the keynote address at the international GFRC Congress in Istanbul, Turkey.
Client: The Dormitory Authority of the State of New York + City University of New York
Project Size: 400,000 square feet
Construction Cost: $150,000,000 (all phases)
Services: Full Architectural Services